The chapel to the former Duke of York’s Military Headquarters is a Grade II* listed chapel. It was built in 1824 between Cheltenham Terrace and the open space now known as Duke of York’s Square, with a side frontage to the King’s Road.
The chapel is built of yellow brick, with a Greek Doric porch on the west front, with coupled columns. It has two storeys, with a stone cornice and a blocking course. The ground floor windows are in arched recesses. There is a Doric colonnade on the east front with small side entrances. It is currently used a shop, occupied by the clothes retailer “Jigsaw.”
The owners are Cadogan, and they have not yet made proposals for the use of the building when it is vacated by the current occupier.
The Chelsea Society will study any proposals with care. The Society would not however wish the gates to the small and currently tranquil open space fronting Cheltenham Terrace to be opened.